This tutorial will show you how to create a realistic glass text effect in Photoshop.
01. First lets make a background. It can be just one color, two color or with a pattern. Here is how this tutorial’s background is created. Open a new document, double click on the background layer to make it a regular layer and then double click on it again to enter Layer Styles window. There go to Gradient Overlay and set your preferred color. Press OK.
02. Create a new layer (Layer – New – Layer in the menu) and take either Custom Shape tool or Brush tool to put add some stripes or other shapes. Set the layer to Screen.
03. Take the Type tool and add your text. It can be any color.
04. Double click on your text layer and go to Blending Options (the very first). Click on it and there set the Fill Opacity to 0. Yes, your text just dissapeared. Don’t close the window yet.
05. Now go to Bevel and Emboss and set some values. Style to Inner Bevel, Technique to Chisel Hard, Dept to about 730, Direction Up, Size 1, Soften 1 and others that are shown on the picture below. Don’t close the window yet.
06. Now go to Stroke, set the size 7 or lower, Position it to Center, set the blend mode to Luminosity, Fill type to Gradient and set the color from darker grey to lighter. Press OK.
07. Now duplicate your text layer by selecting your text layer, right click and choose Duplicate layer. Now you have 2 Glass layers. Double click on the duplicate, uncheck all the boxes and lets start again. Go to Inner Shadow, set the color blackm blend mode to Multiply, angle 120, distance 1 and size 2.
08. Then go to Bevel and Emboss and set the values below.
09. Then go to Stroke and add a small 2px stroke. Set the Fill type to Gradient and gradient from grey to lighter grey, angle to 0. Press OK.
10. Duplicate the layer again. Right click on your text layer and choose Duplicate layer. Be sure that the newest duplicate is now the topmost layer. If its not, drag it there. Now double click on your newest duplicate and uncheck all the boxes. Then go to Bevel and Emboss and set the values below. Also check that the Range in the Contour would be right.
11. Then go to Drop Shadow, set the Blend Mode to Multiply, lower the opacity, set the angle to 120, distance to 4 and size to 3.
And your glassy text effect is ready for displaying!